Subscribe to the OCN Daily Newsletter!
Receive a free update of the latest Ontario Construction News each morning
Ontario Construction News staff writer
The Sault Community Career Centre and Sault Ste. Marie Construction Association recently announced the return of Build This City: A Free Construction Fundamentals Training Program for job seekers and employers.
The next training session starts Monday, Oct. 4 and applications are being accepted until Friday, Sept. 17, 2021, at 4:30 p.m. Applications received after Sept. 17 will be considered for the next available training session. Space is limited.
Build This City is a SkillsAdvance Ontario workforce development project designed for Sault Ste. Marie. It gives job seekers free short-term construction fundamentals training, and helps them get work and advance in the local construction sector. It gives local employers access to job-ready, skilled workers to meet their workforce needs and supports to train staff for advancement opportunities.
Free support for job seekers, including:
- Eight weeks of free essential and technical skills training, delivered by experienced professionals that end in industry-recognized certificates or credentials, combined with job shadowing with a variety of local industry employers
- Paid two-week work placement with local industry employers
- One-on-one support that helps you move from training into local job and career opportunities
- Financial support to cover such things as work clothing, equipment, transportation, food
Participants must be:
- Unemployed or working less than an average of 20 hours per week
- 18 years of age or older
- Resident of Ontario and legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, Refugee Claimant)
- Not participating in, or returning to, full-time training or education
Free support for employers includes:
- Financial support to offset additional supervisory or training costs for staff mentors to provide supervision to job seeker participants
- One-on-one support to ensure the success of participant placements
- Workers with the right skills you need to fill vacancies
- Help to reduce employee turnover
- Advancement opportunities for current staff through specialized training that meets your needs