Subscribe to the OCN Daily Newsletter!
Receive a free update of the latest Ontario Construction News each morning
Ontario Construction News staff writer
The project includes the design and construction of the equipment required to increase the plant’s capacity to 5,330 m3/day, from its current capacity of 3,580 m3/day. It will also result in greater energy efficiency by providing the systems that will allow the plant to scale its operations in conjunction with peak daily demand periods.
“The expansion is a key project for the municipality,” said Shawn Carey, director of operations for the town. “Work will ensure the plant is capable of providing reliable service to our community for years to come, while also maximizing the facility’s energy efficiency.”
IBI Group has provided engineering and construction services for many similar wastewater treatment plants throughout Ontario. Their expertise includes planning, hydraulic analysis and modeling, environmental assessment, wastewater and water treatment facilities design, linear infrastructure, and land development engineering.
The Thornbury project includes design and construction of equipment required to increase the plant’s capacity to 5,330 m3/day, from its current capacity of 3,580 m3/day. It will also result in greater energy efficiency by providing the systems that will allow the plant to scale its operations in conjunction with peak daily demand periods.
Phase 1A will include:
- Construction of an additional extended aeration tank, including the aeration system, alum addition and required accessories
- Construction of an additional clarifier and its associated mechanical system
- Upgrades to the current ultraviolet disinfection system to meet the plant’s extended capacity
- The replacement of existing air blowers, including the required valves, controls, instrumentation and distribution piping
- Installation of an additional mechanical screen capable of processing 14,000 m3/day
- Optimization of energy efficiency throughout the plant
Expansion of the plant was approved as part of the 2020 Town Budget. The detailed design is scheduled to be finalized in mid to late 2022, with construction to be completed in two steps. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2024.
Established in 1974, IBI Group has grown steadily and today has over 60 offices throughout Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, employing over 3,000 professionals and support staff. Their water/wastewater group is made up of the water facilities, municipal infrastructure, and infrastructure planning teams.