Ontario Construction News staff writer
MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects Ltd. from Toronto and North Bay’s Mitchell Jensen Architects presented plans for a 74,000-square foot facility at an open house Jan. 15.
According to presentation documents, the design includes:
- public lobby with warm viewing
- two regulation-sized ice pads
- 250 bench seats cold viewing (tournament rink) + approximately 100 bench seats warm viewing
- 150 bench seats (practice rink)walking track with upper-level viewing
- multi-purpose community room
- food services
- association offices
- Shared change room facilities:
- 14 barrier-free change rooms
- four field access changes rooms
- two gender-neutral private change rooms
The estimated cost is $32 million and the facility will be integrated with the Steve Omischl Sports Complex.
According to the city’s community services committee chair, as reported by BayToday, the new community centre and twin-pad arena in West Ferris “will improve access to sport and recreation opportunities for the citizens of North Bay, and add to the already wonderful quality of life we enjoy in our great city.”
The design team will provide a more complete design in a few months, followed by tender-ready documents in the late summer. Construction is expected to start in the fall and be completed in September 2022.