Ontario Construction News staff writer
The Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) has put out a call for presenters for its 2020 OAA Annual Conference, entitled “Shifting Paradigms,” in Toronto next May.
“The OAA invites individuals and organizations to submit a brief outline of their proposed presentation for this event, which will be one of the year’s most important gatherings for the architecture profession of Ontario,” the association says in its statement.
The theme for three day conference May 27 to 29 at the Beanfield Centre and Hotel X is “Shifting Paradigms”.
“As a profession and as an association, we are at a pivotal moment: How we practise is rapidly changing in tandem with shifting priorities across society. From the way we deliver projects to the way we organize our offices, and from the tools we use to design to the skills we need to succeed, all aspects must evolve synergistically. In today’s society, where diversity, sustainability and transparency are paramount, the question is: Are we leading by example?”
- The OAA says non-promotional presentations can be about diverse topics related to subjects across the spectrum of interest for Ontario architects. Some examples include:
- architectural design;
- environment and energy;
- heritage building restoration;
- sustainable or green design;
- practice management, project management and risk management;
- building codes (Ontario Building Code and National Building Code of Canada); and
- legal issues and legislation related to architectural practice and the construction industry.