The Sudbury 2050 — Urban Design Competition has announced the finalists.
Led by the McEwen School of Architecture (MSoA) in collaboration with the community, the competition challenged entrants to create a new vision for the urban core of the City of Greater Sudbury.
Entrants were invited to select one or more programs including a new library, art gallery, conference centre, and performance centre, new housing typologies for a range of incomes, reimagining the space occupied by the railway lines, and a new arena and event centre.
The competition includes $63,000 in prizes, with awards for the best professional entry, best student entry, and a People’s Choice award.
- Collectif Escargo: Karyna St-Pierre, Julie Parenteau, Émilie Labrousse, Pierre-Yves Diehl
- Sahana Dharmaraj, Jenna Lamb, Anastasia Renaud, Taylor Um, Kevan Cress, Shannon McMillan
Alimentary Urbanism (Canada)
- Jesse LeCavalier, Jake Rosenwald, Jennifer Chau, Tran Michael Wideman, Connor Stevens, Siqi Wang
Pollinating Sudbury (US)
- Dongsei Kim, Tommy Yang
Northern Traction (Canada)
- Zain Karsan, Natalie Bellefleur
The Woods Fellowship (Canada)
- Alexander Cassini, Daniela Leon, Christopher Alton
Sudbury Center: Growing The Forest City (US)
- Eric Pearse
Ma-sh-ki-ki-ke: A story of healing, pour nous et pour la terre (Canada)
- Emilio Portal, Matthew Hunter, Jayden Daoust, Elyse Portal, William Morin, Miranda Virtanen, Naomi Grant, Cora-Rae Silk, Camille Tremblay Beaulieu, Simon Blakeley, Rebecca Elphick, Megan Tran
Collective City (Canada)
- Jesse Martyn
Green Railway: Connecting People (Romania)
- Cristian Ovidiu Pavel
Urban Constellation: Sudbury, a dreaming city (France)
- Gaël Biache, Elise Dalmasso
Bold & Beautiful (Singapore/Thailand/Hong Kong)
- Bryan Jian Hao Goh, Charmaine Chua Wei Ying, Chun Ho Christopher Wong, Nabhatsorn Na Thalang, Rachel Yi En Chiam, and Tessa Hui Zhi Tan
- Aidan Lucas, Maeve Macdonald