Ontario Construction News staff writer
The City of Thunder Bay will spend $32 million in 2021 on road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving, sanitary and storm sewers, watermain repair/replacement, bridge and culvert work, and streetlight renewal
Here are some of the projects schedule this year:
Sewer and watermain work
- Sanitary sewer, storm sewer and watermain work is scheduled for Crawford Avenue south of the CPR tracks; a minimum amount of local access will be permitted within this area.
- Watermain and road work is scheduled for Huron Street from Toledo Street to Shuniah Street; only local traffic access will be permitted.
- River Street from Algoma Street North to Cumberland Street North – road and watermain work to be complete by early September.
- Hewitson Street – installation of a new watermain
- Storm sewer construction is scheduled for Hardisty Street (various locations) from George Street to Pacific Avenue
- Storm sewer & watermain construction is scheduled for Inglewood Crescent
Road, street lighting, bridge and sidewalk improvements
- The Edward Street bridge at the Neebing River will be under construction from May to October.
- Work on road rehabilitation, watermain replacement, and construction of the roundabout continue on Edward Street between Ward Avenue and William Street. The intersection of Edward Street and Redwood Avenue is closed to traffic. Traffic is currently detoured around the construction zone. Motorists are asked to follow posted detours and signage to access businesses in the area. Work will continue for the full 2021 construction season.
- Sidewalk replacement work is scheduled for a section of Ridgeway Street
- Final paving and landscaping restoration work will be completed on Mount Forest Boulevard, from Hawkridge Drive to Highway 61.
- Road rehabilitation and storm sewer work is scheduled to begin on Wishart Crescent; the road will be closed with access to local traffic only.
- Lane widening work is expected to begin on William Street near its intersection with Balmoral Street; traffic lanes on William Street will be reduced to accommodate the construction work.
- Retaining wall and sidewalk replacement will take place on High Street North near Dawson Street and on River Street near Elm Street; lane closures are possible as the work proceeds.
- Chip sealing is slated for Melbourne Road between Alice Avenue and Hazelwood Drive; traffic will be reduced to one lane during the construction work – local traffic only with no through traffic.