Ontario Construction News staff writer
Thunder Bay Mayor Bill Mauro participated in a virtual discussion with provincial officials last week in advance of the Fall 2020 Ontario Budget.
Participants highlighted how COVID-19 has significant impacted individuals, families and businesses across the province.
“This was an important opportunity to advocate for our community’s needs to the Ministry of Finance,” Mauro said. “We were fortunate to be able to discuss critical community issues, and to have an opportunity to make Thunder Bay’s issues and priorities front and centre.”
Priority topics covered included:
- Bombardier: Provincial/federal finding agreement to allow contracts to move forward
- Operating funding to offset 2021 COVID-19 costs and lost revenues
- Infrastructure funding for municipalities
- Provincial Offences Act (POA) fines
- Long-term care: Funding for additional hires and increased costs related to COVID-19
The Province’s next fiscal update will be a multi-year provincial budget to be delivered no later than Nov. 15.