Ontario Construction News staff writer
The Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD) held the 42nd annual BILD Awards gala on June 22, honouring excellence and innovation in design, construction, marketing and sales of new homes in the Greater Toronto Area.
Launched in 1980, the awards program has expanded to recognize innovation, planned communities, people, environmentally conscious building, marketing, sales, design, architecture, inclusivity and community involvement.
This year’s winners:
Lifetime Achievement Award
Stephen Diamond, CEO of DiamondCorp, was awarded the highest honour awarded to a BILD member. He was described as “a visionary industry leader who has been an invaluable resource for BILD and has generously served with many community organizations”.
Home Builder of the Year
- Mid/High-Rise: Tridel
- Low-Rise: Brookfield Residential
Green Builder of the Year
- Mid/High-Rise: Tridel
- Low-Rise: SEAN
Best New Community, Planned/Under Development
- Canary Landing, a project by Dream Asset Management Corp., Kilmer Group and Tricon Residential
Best Community, Built
- King George School Lofts and Town Homes, a Newmarket development by The Rose Corporation
Project of the Year
- High-Rise: Menkes Developments for the Grand Festival project in Vaughan
- Low-Rise: Bloom in Seaton, a townhouse development by Mattamy Homes. Bloom in Seaton also received the People’s Choice Award, which is voted on by the public
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) Award
- BentallGreenOak Residential (BGO) in recognition of its bold action on DE&I across its corporate teams and its residential properties
Angelo DelZotto Fearless Innovator Award
- National Homes – for its pioneering manufacturing and use of Panergy Wall Solutions, a building envelope system with a low carbon footprint
Stephen Dupuis Corporate Social Responsibility Award
- Greenwin – for its work in community safety, food security, empowerment and connection
Ignat Kaneff Inspiration Award
- Debbie Cosic, founder and CEO of In2ition Realty -, for her mentorship of industry professionals and her philanthropy with community organizations
Riley Brethour Leadership Award
- Julie Di Lorenzo, president of Diamante Urban Corporation – for her outstanding professional achievement and leadership in the industry
Also, 33 awards were presented in marketing, architecture, people and sales, and the prestigious Pinnacle category.