Ontario Construction News staff writer
The Association of Consulting Engineering Companies-Canada (ACEC) recognized achievements of several businesses at the online Awards of Excellence virtual celebration on Oct. 29.
ACEC says the 20 projects recognized represented achievements “from innovative engineering solutions in remote locations to heritage building rehabilitations and iconic bridge designs, to complex water, natural resource and environmental projects.”
“Though we may not have been able to celebrate in-person this year, these achievements and the incredible work of our members were recognized on a virtual stage” ACEC president and CEO John Gamble said in a statement.
“Through their ingenuity and innovation, the work of consulting engineering companies connects communities, grows the economy, protects the public and improves sustainability. The impacts and benefits of their work are long-lasting, often immeasurable, and deserve to be celebrated.” Winners were selected by independent jurors with distinguished and varied backgrounds.
In addition to the Awards of Excellence, three Special Achievement Awards were also presented to three projects.
- For demonstrating the highest degree of technical merit and innovation, the Schreyer Award was presented to SNC-Lavalin for the company’s work on the Samuel De Champlain Bridge Corridor project in Montreal, QC;
- For demonstrating outstanding environmental stewardship Morrison Hershfield was presented with the Tree for Life Award for the Building NX, Humber College project in Etobicoke; and
- For best showcasing how engineering enhances the social, economic or cultural quality of life of Canadians, Accutech Engineering Inc. was presented with the Engineering a Better Canada Award for the Arviligruaq Ilinniarvik School in Kugaaruk, NU.
Three awards were also presented to individuals for “the positive impact they have made to the industry and the association,” ACEC said.
- The 2020 Beaubien Award for lifetime achievement was presented to Andy Robinson, a former ACEC chair and the founder of Robinson Consultants Inc.
- The 2021 Allen D. Williams Scholarship Award, recognizing a young professional’s commitment to consulting engineering, was awarded to Julie DiCicco of Dillon Consulting Limited.
- Sylvia Jungkind received the 2020 ACEC Chair’s Award during ACEC-Canada’s AGM earlier this week, for her contributions to the association and the consulting engineering industry.