Ontario Construction News staff writer
Stantec project manager Matt Vodrey and Derek Ryal from Stantec Architects say the project – currently in construction documents phase – is an indoor turf facility in Chapples Park.
It is designed for a variety of sports including soccer, baseball, ultimate frisbee, cricket, football and lacrosse and utilizes City of Thunder Bay Clean Green and Beautiful standards and London Design Standards for accessibility.
Tenders are expected to be released in Fall 2020 with construction starting in late fall 2020 and site opening in 2022. The estimated cost of construction is $36 million.
Ryal says the design goal was to create a “future sports field development at the site and expand existing walking paths and cycling infrastructure.”
The main floor plan includes community space, change rooms and storage for sports teams, and a sports facility – turf field and walking track.
On the second floor, there is seating for 800 spectators all around the field and open to the first floor for clear sight lines. Proposed uses for the facility include soccer, walking, ultimate, football, baseball, drone competitions, cricket, lacrosse, large community events/cultural gatherings, and a potential emergency evacuation centre.
Stantec presented the plan to city council on July 20. The building includes:
- One full-size indoor turf field 310’ x 190’ with a minimum 40’ clear height (dividable into 4- 150’ x 90’ quarter fields)
- Automatic quarter pitch field separation curtains
- Two lane walking track with locker area/change area for walkers
- Eight change rooms and referee changing areas
- Second floor seating for up to 800 with capacity for standing room
- Food/beverage amenities, mezzanine overlooking indoor turf facilities on upper level
- Washrooms located throughout
- Tournament hosting / Administrative office space for staff and community groups
- Storage and service spaces