HomeArchitecture/planningOakville court imposes $822,000 in penalties for unauthorized demolition of designated heritage...

Oakville court imposes $822,000 in penalties for unauthorized demolition of designated heritage home

Ontario Construction News staff writer

The Town of Oakville says a court ruling imposing $822,000 in penalties for the unauthorized demolition of a designated heritage home and the removal of a mature tree sends a strong message about the importance of complying with heritage and environmental protection laws.

The penalties were handed down July 8 in Halton Court Services Provincial Offences Court in Burlington after 1475 Lakeshore Rd. East Inc. pleaded guilty to three offences related to the demolition of the designated property at 1475 Lakeshore Rd. E.

The Ontario Court of Justice ordered the company to pay a total of $822,000 within 30 days, including a $700,000 fine for demolishing a designated heritage building contrary to the Ontario Heritage Act, a $50,000 fine for demolishing a building without a permit under the Building Code Act, and a $72,000 court-ordered payment to the Town’s reforestation fund for removing a mature private tree without a permit in contravention of Oakville’s private tree protection by-law.

Town officials said the decision reinforces the importance of protecting heritage resources and the urban forest while ensuring compliance with provincial legislation and municipal regulations.

The property, known as the Griggs House or Halfway House, dates to approximately 1828 and was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act for its historical and architectural significance. The building was one of the area’s earliest roadside inns, serving travellers along the historic route between Toronto and Hamilton.

The case stems from demolition work that took place in July 2025. According to the town, staff responded after becoming aware of unauthorized demolition activity and issued a stop-work order before launching an investigation that resulted in charges under the Building Code Act, the Ontario Heritage Act and the Town’s tree protection by-law.

Responding to local outrage over the demolition of one of the town’s oldest homes, the town launched legal action against a development company for destroying the heritage building. Charges included:

  • Demolition of a building without a building permit
  • Failure to comply with an order
  • Demolition of a designated heritage property without municipal consent
  • Destruction of a tree without a permit

The owner had previously received heritage approvals from Oakville Council as part of a redevelopment proposal that would have relocated and restored the heritage structure while allowing new construction on the property. Those approvals did not authorize demolition of the designated building.

While acknowledging that the loss of the nearly 200-year-old structure cannot be reversed, the town said the court’s decision underscores the consequences of failing to obtain the required approvals before undertaking work on protected heritage properties.

The town also thanked residents who raised concerns about the property and supported efforts to preserve Oakville’s cultural heritage and natural environment.

Robin MacLennan, Editor, Ontario Construction News
Robin MacLennan, Editor, Ontario Construction News
Robin MacLennan has been a reporter, photographer and editor at newspapers and magazines in Barrie, Toronto and across Canada for more than three decades. She lives in North Bay. After venturing into corporate communications and promoting hospitals and healthcare, she happily returned to journalism full-time in 2020, joining Ontario Construction News as Writer and Editor. Robin can be reached at rmaclennan@ontarioconstructionnews.com
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisement -