Subscribe to the OCN Daily Newsletter!
Receive a free update of the latest Ontario Construction News each morning
Ontario Construction News staff writer
The 2021 Toronto Urban Design Awards winners were announced at a virtual ceremony this week, acknowledging contributions from architects, landscape architects, urban designers, artists, design students and city builders make to the appearance and livability of the city.
This competition is judged by an independent jury of urban visionaries, professionals and academics representing the local and international design communities.
This year the city received 170 submissions in nine categories and 11 projects were chosen for Awards of Excellence, 13 for Awards of Merit, and two Special Jury Awards for inspiring infrastructure.
The 2021 award winners are:
- Award of Excellence: CF Toronto Eaton Centre Bridge, 15 Queen St. W.
- Award of Merit: Thermally Speaking, 250 Fort York Blvd.
Private Buildings in Context – Low-Scale Category
- Award of Excellence: Montcrest School Redevelopment, 658 Broadview Ave.
- Award of Merit: Proper TV, 772 Dovercourt Rd.
Private Buildings in Context – Mid-Rise Category
- Award of Excellence: 80 Atlantic, 80 Atlantic Ave.
- Award of Merit: West Block Est. 1928, 500 Lake Shore Blvd. W.
- Award of Merit: Kingston&Co Condominiums, 1100 Kingston Rd.
Private Buildings in Context – Tall Category
- Award of Excellence: Axis Condos, 411 Church St.
- Award of Merit: The Massey Tower, 197 Yonge St.
Public Buildings in Context Category
- Award of Excellence: Seneca College – Centre of Innovation Technology and Entrepreneurship, 1750 Finch Ave. E.
- Award of Merit: Ryerson University – Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex, 288 Church St.
- Award of Merit: Canoe Landing Community Campus, 45 Fort York Blvd.
- Award of Merit: Guildwood Station, 4105 Kingston Rd.
Small Open Spaces Category
- Award of Excellence: SQ2 POPS, 80 Vanauley St.
- Award of Excellence: University of Toronto Scarborough Valley Land Accessible Trail, 1265 Military Trail
- Award of Merit: St. James Park-Park Improvements, 120 King St. E.
Large Places and/or Neighbourhood Designs Category
- Award of Excellence: Centennial College Downsview Campus Centre for Aerospace and Aviation, 65 Carl Hall Rd.
- Award of Merit: Garrison Crossing (Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridges), 10 Ordnance St.
- Award of Merit: Yonge Sheppard Centre, 4841 Yonge St.
Visions and Master Plans Category
- Award of Excellence: Bloor/Kipling & Islington Developments, Bloor Street & Kipling Avenue, Bloor Street & Islington Ave.
- Award of Excellence: The Meadoway, Gatineau Hydro Corridor
Student Projects Category
- Award of Excellence: Power and Place, Princess Margaret
- Award of Merit: xs spaces: a new laneway urbanism for Toronto, Robinson Place
- Award of Merit: Embodied Energy: Living Lab, Willcocks and Huron Street, University of Toronto St. George Campus
Special Jury Award for Inspiring Infrastructure Category
- Storm Water Facility, 480 Lake Shore Blvd. E.
- Emergency Exit Buildings, Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension, EEB1: 2 Whitehorse Rd., EEB2: 18 St. Regis Cr., EEB3: 2 Toro Rd., EEB4 45 The Pond Rd.